I announced two days ago that I am getting rid of EVERY clothing item in my closet except 100 pieces. I am trying to build a cohesive closet full of lots of outfits and no more one hit wonders! Hooray for that!! I am saying buh bye to all those garments I only wore once that are taking precious real estate in my cramped closet. Also, all those trophy garments, that have a memory attached… I am letting them go today! How am I able to make it so easy on myself? Great question! The answer is a color palette. I’ve been sifting through my entire closet this week. The first thing I decided was to choose a color palette of 4 neutral colors, 1 accent color and 2 Trends. I picked colors that easily go together. My neutral colors I picked are white, cream, black, and grey. I am picking pink as my accent color and I am also allowing myself to keep the trends; blue denim shades and animal prints.
So far I came up with the following closet color rules:
- Keep Only 100 or Less Garments
- Pick 4 Neutral Colors: White, Black, Cream, Brown, Navy, Grey
- Pick 1 Accent Color: Red, Purple, Orange, Blue, Pink, Green, Yellow,
- Pick Two Trends: All Shades of Blue Denim, Polka Dots, Stripes, Florals, Paint Splatter, Gingham, Animal Print, Paisley, Plaid, Embroidery, Studs, Crystals, Grommets, Color Blocking
- Neutral and Accent Colors Must Be Solids
- Trends Must Follow Same Color Palette
- To Choose A Different Neutral Color, Accent Color, or Trend You Must Get Rid of (Sell, Donate, Or Throw Away) Everything of Another Neutral Color, Accent Color, or Trend Before Purchasing Your New Selections
Narrowing down my closet palette really made it easy for me to get rid of so many garments this week. I will be posting my closet transformation photo and tips so keep following along.